Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Culinary Cocktails, Navajo Tacos, Macarons, and More: A Wrap Up of My First Four Urbanite Food & Drink Issues!

The Queen Bee Cocktail: Belvedere vodka, yuzu, elderflower syrup, and honey water .. mmmm
It's been a month since my weekly Web zine for the Urbanite launched, so I thought I'd do a little wrap up and show you why I have been so frazzled lately!
I cannot believe that in such a short time I have eaten so much food and had so many cocktails:
Market Flatbread Pizza at B & O American Brasserie: smoked ricotta, potatoes, peas, and a fried egg

The Margarita Goes Upscale: the Oaxaca at Baltimore's Grand Cru
I've had the chance to go in the kitchen with master patissier Joseph Poupon of Patisserie Poupon and learn how to make perfect macarons (well, I tried anyway):
Watching a master pipe the perfect macs
The results of his labors!
I explored the difficulties involved in choosing sustainable seafood, and met some local purveyors along the way:
A bronzini from Salt River Lobster Company
I particularly enjoyed spending time at a Native American Pow Wow, where I learned about Navajo and Lumbee frybreads:
Pow Wow Participants

Frybread, Three Ways
Lumbee frybread (l) & Lumbee taco (r)
Yes, I had to eat all the frybread. It's research, you understand.

I've also learned - and shared - some really cool recipes from local chefs, like Baltimore peach cake and a gourmet peanut butter cup. And there's plenty more where that came from ... I just have to make sure to get on that treadmill every day.  Seriously. Hopefully now you'll understand why I haven't been stopping by all of your lovely blogs as much as I'd like - but I am catching up, slowly but surely.

And if any of you happen to be in the D.C. area, I'm judging an Iron-Chef style cooking competition for the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian's Living Earth Festival on Sunday, August 8 at 3 pm. You can find all the info here. Come on out if you can - I'd love to meet some of my bloggy friends in person!






24 comments:

  1. wow so perfect, and these pictures I can't stop stareing at amazing color, like I am right there, just want to grab those macaroons and the drinks~ lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like lots of fun and learning. Love those Macs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Trix. I have been checking out your impressive work on Urbanite. Look forward to the future growth of your webzine.

    Thank you for highlighting sustainble seafood. It may be difficult to source, but paramount to our enviorment and future generations enjoying the oceans bounty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I signed up for your web zine immediately. Even though I'm far from your area, that fry bread piece and the macaron photos have convinced me I don't want to miss a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you have been MIA! Enjoying the good life!!! Good for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are absolutely forgiven ;) Love me some frybread - oh yeah baby! Thanks for the highlights and gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder! You have been having fun eating and drinking... lucky girl. And beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trix, you are one lucky toots. Wish I could be your sidekick. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now incredibly hungry. That flatbread, with the egg on top, looks absolutely fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks so good, from the cocktails, to the frybread to the pizza and don't forget the macarons, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a blog recap, amazing pictures. Is fry bread not amazing! I am holding myself back from not making it every night (and the hush puppies).

    OK, where are the pics of your macarons????

    ReplyDelete
  12. great reads, like the coctail one, of course and esp the one on fishing ... always interested in farmed raised fish and locally caught, the rise of mercury in swordfish concerns me as well as some of the others but time will tell...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those macaroons look delectable. Frybread is...well...perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Trix, wow! You've been busy, but 'nice busy' it seems. I'm glad your'e having fun culinary experiences-that's sweet! By the way, those cocktails just gave me an alcohol craving and it's 9:30 A.M. here (smile). Oh, and I make corn pone all the time. It's a type of Native fry bread. We love it!
    Anyway, great post, Trix.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on a great first month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those pics are so good, Trix. Are you having as much fun as it looks like you're having??? I do wish I could come to Washington, sadly too too far away!!! I bet you will be a great (and amusing judge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. congrats! i've been following along and love the beautiful photos and featured stories you've been able to cover. good luck and keep posting those awesome stories!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! I wish I could download that cocktail right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm such a sucker for a lovely macaron photo. Now if mine could turn out like that consistently....

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome and I'm in the DC metro area! Hope we can meet one day. I'd love to join you tomorrow but not sure if I can. There is also a DC blogger happy hour every month. There is a facebook page endorsing the events. Thanks for sharing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful. Those macaroons are little bites of perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally understand your feeling frazzled! I would too! Very interesting webzine and all the articles are well-documented and the photos superb.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, everything looks great! How did you get linked to being on eatocracy? I love their post about you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything is just fantastic...Love the post :)

    ReplyDelete